Sunday, July 25

Best Diet Books

These days there are so many choices regarding diet and weight loss that it can get very confusing. So far my blog has discussed options for diet and weight loss for emotional eaters, diet and weight loss for those with busy schedules and therefore need diet food delivered, diet and weight loss due to doctors orders, diet and weight loss for those on a budget, and finally I also have discussed diet and weight loss for a good online weight loss program. Some of you have found my links useful so I thought I'd do a bit of research on diet books on Amazon.com.

Before the Internet I think most of us used books for information on the best diets.  While books are still very popular they continue to face stiff competition from competitors such as downloadable audio books and the Internet.  Luckily Amazon offers a combination of both so whatever you choose, you win.
The top 3 books I found on Amazon have the title "THIN" in them which kinda disappoints me because the goal of diet and weight loss is to be healthy, not "THIN".  But I guess "THIN" sells doesn't it, even though most people are NOT THIN!  It's all psychological.  Anyway I've shown the top selling book below, and I've added the customer feedback I found to be the most informative - good or bad.

I Can Make You Thin: the Revolutionary System Used By More than 3 Million People - By Martin Russell "Self Help Doctor"
Best Customer Review -  611 of 624 people found the following review helpful:
"For almost 3 years now I have been handing this book and 'mind-reprogramming' CD to every patient who comes to me to lose weight, or who is caught up in the mentality of diets, scales, cravings, or overeating.  I am *delighted* that this version of "I Can Make You Thin" is finally available on Amazon.com rather than having to hunt it from the UK site. The long wait is over!  At the risk of making this book seem too simple, here are Paul McKenna's 4 golden rules...


            1. When you are hungry, eat.

            2. Eat what you want (not what you think you "should".)

            3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.

            4. When you are full stop.
McKenna needs to be given great credit for showing people HOW to live these habits. Hopefully you are buying this for the results, not just to have a fun read and a relaxing, new-wavy listen.  As a doctor, I have counseled people who thought it didn't work for them, but it turned out they hadn't gotten the rules into their behavior, so here are some extra pointers...
            - Just listening to the CD over and over doesn't seem to be enough. The book plays a big part too. Expect to re-read the book at least once. You can succeed without the CD, so if it doesn't suit you, no sweat.
            - Don't add more rules. Extra rules almost always conflict with the four golden rules. Must eat breakfast? No. Just eat when you are hungry. Have to eat only fresh food? Check you really want to eat it, and whether you might want to eat anything else a bit more. Etc, etc.
            - Having trouble visualizing? Just act 'as if' you are visualizing, or on the CD just leave it to Paul.
            - Don't make exercise the focus. Improved fitness will improve your chances of living longer, but unfortunately the best research evidence is that exercise doesn't help much in losing weight. Keep to the four rules, which are all about food and getting back in control.
            - If you have a question or a difficulty, the answer is somewhere in the book. The book alone truly is comprehensive (unlike watching YouTube videos or reading this review.) Indeed the updates have covered the two or three remaining gaps I had found before, including the extra information for self-sabotage issues." 

Booksamillion.com: we wrote the book on low prices
Geez that was a long review but I think well worth reading if you are serious about making the best decision for your diet and weight loss program.  I have a copy of this book and tend to agree with the reviewer although I do feel it is easier said than done.  I think purchasing the diet and weight loss CD in addition to the diet and weight loss book would be a good idea because a voice can keep you more motivated whereas a book can be tossed aside.

Other popular diet and weight loss reads are as follows:

No comments: